30 January 2009

A Reflection on Revenge

With the kids in bed and a few minutes before Washington Week on PBS I have a few thoughts to post (I too am trying to reign in the excitement).

Revenge

Several weeks ago #1 volunteered me to come into her music class and play my fiddle.  I thought I would simply go in talk about my fiddle, play a scale and be done with it.  Oh no, the music teacher gave me a list of songs to play - actually songs I could and still cannot play. I emailed her back to say I could not play the songs she chose and gave her a list of songs I could.   I arrived at school on the appropriate day a few minutes early. {for background reader you must also know that at one time the #1's music teacher told me she only played the flute}.  

While I waited the school secretary informed me that she thought it was great I was coming in to play.  She then informed that she too wanted to learn to play and that #1's music teacher agreed to give her lessons!  With this in mind I sang the hymn "sometimes, it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble."  I thought I was going to know a little more than the teacher and maybe even fudge my way through the songs I chose, not now.  I nervously played for the kids but not all that well.  Not only did they dance to my music they also sang along.  Have you ever had 18 kids sing along to a song?   As I played I would occasionally misbow a note or two which would cause the music teacher to wince (I have above average peripheral vision).  The teacher was gracious but I know she resented ever asking me to come in.  How do I know this?  Lemme tell you how.

Last week #1 came home announcing that their school would be performing a musical: The Sound of Music.  Reader, I cannot stand that musical.  I have tried, honest to god I have tried but I cannot.  #1's music teacher intrinsically knew I did not like the musical and purposively chose it.  She also knew that my first born loves to not only just sing songs around the house but that she sings songs at the world's highest recorded rate of repetition.  I have the soundtrack, in a high pitched 2nd graders voice, constantly on shuffle playing in my head.  

Before I go to bed I will check the feedjit application - please let no one view this blog this evening, it is Friday night for crying out loud.  At the very least watch Washington Week and then tell yourself that you are going to watch Bill Moyers only to find yourself snoring by 8:45.  

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu

No comments: