25 January 2009

On Being Flabbergasted

Last year I requested to review books for several academic journals.  Why?  One, the books are free.  Two, reviewing required me to read some "thick," "heavy," and academic substantive books.  Three, reviewing required a different style of writing.  I reviewed two books last year.  I received the books, wrote the reviews, and sent them off.  I did not expect any note of receipt or even a note of thanks.  So imagine my surprise when I received this email from the managing editor of Review and Expositor:

A quick note to thank you for your recent review of the book The Making of American Liberal Theology. It will appear in the Fall 2008 issue of R & E that should "hit the streets" in the next few weeks. I have noticed how many book reviews you contribute to the journal, and often writers of book reviews don't get the credit they deserve.

Needless to say I was flabbergasted, I have never received such a note before for reviewing books before.  


No comments: