29 April 2008

Surprises

The other day a package arrived from my uncle who lives in California, it was an Orthodox Study Bible.  I was caught off guard by this gift and its beauty.  My uncle is still RCC but faithfully attends an Orthodox church.  Interesting the OT is a translation of the Septuagint or LXX while the NT is simply the King James.  
#1 also made us a Happy May card the other day.  I was touched by her detail, especially the white reflective parts on the balloon.

Last week I took #2 to story time at the Library, afterwards I was talking to a British ex-pat mom and asked her for a good Yorkshire Pudding recipe.  I never knew about this dish till I watched a BBC episode with the loud and foul mouth chef.  My mouth was watering with anticipation.  The ex-pat did have a fine recipe she emailed the VOR, but then the children's librarian overheard our conversation and told me about her husband's British origins - she not only brought a recipe but the special tins to cook the pudding in.  This Sunday we are cooking it.

Finally, this Sunday the VOR made one of my new favorite meals: Pinto beans and cornbread. As a kid my father always tried to push me to eat beans, but I wouldn't. He would say ah come on, they are just baby potatoes. But since dad's death I try to eat some of the foods he ate. Now I love PB and Cornbread. I put a slab of country ham in the beans and watch them simmer. The SEVN joined us for dinner, they did not seem to mind the overt ham aroma or flavor...

No comments: