22 April 2008

#19, a prediction and a news item that should have been above the fold

Last  night I finished #19, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible.  I originally bought the book for a parishioner, a dude who is the closest person to this book I have ever met.  When I told him about the book he was really excited.  A couple of weeks ago he gave it back to me, so I started reading it.  Great book.  I laughed and laughed and laughed at this guy: imagine a straight and semi-religious David Sedaris and there you go.  

The book also caused me to question my own life as a follower of Jesus, how much stuff of Jesus' teaching am I not paying attention to?  How much of the Bible have I pretty much ignored?  I am now looking forward to reading his previous book: The Know it All (but I am not sure when it will be in my hands, I still need to finish The Power and the Glory and the third volume of Dorrien's book for a review.  Sometime this summer I will get TKIA.)

A Prediction.  Clinton will win Pennsylvania by two percentage points (Obama's roll up in Philly, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Lancaster will give him enough votes to counter the rest of PA).  Clinton will stay on for Indiana and NC but will then bow out after those states vote.

A News Item.  I was rather shocked to see Carter's deal with Hamas to recognize the state of Israel was on page A10 of the NYTimes and not above the fold of the front page.  

2 comments:

Tripp Hudgins said...

I just picked up a copy of that book a couple of months ago...I guess its time I read through it.

Thanks, Trav.

Oh, hey, any news on the liturgical Baptist thing? You know...we could try to organie folk at the next biennial.

G. Travis Norvell said...

tripp,,

i think you will get a kick out of the book.

Sorry about the delay on the lit. bap. I will get back with you soon on this, got some ideas swirling...