29 April 2007

Lord's Day Stuff and An Open Letter to Randy Moss

Sermon on prayer went well for this morning. I decided to take a different approach and explain the classic Christian Disciplines via a sermon series. So far, it seems well. So far I spend about five minutes describing the inner life then 10 minutes on practical ways to practice the spiritual life. Last week it was lectio divina, this morning it was ways on how God speaks to us.

*****

#1 asked the other day how to spell CVS, yesterday she asked how to spell PJs.

*****

Tonight after dinner I made the Super Natural Brownies that was in the Times a couple of weeks ago. They were good, but not super natural. The recipe says they are better the next day, I'll see about that.



SUPERNATURAL BROWNIES
Adapted from ''Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers,'' by Nick Malgieri (Morrow Cookbooks, 1998)
Time: About 1 hour

2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, more for pan and parchment paper
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark brown sugar, such as muscovado
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 3/4 cup whole walnuts, optional.

1. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and line with buttered parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, or on low power in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Cool slightly. In a large bowl or mixer, whisk eggs. Whisk in salt, sugars and vanilla.
2. Whisk in chocolate mixture. Fold in flour just until combined. If using chopped walnuts, stir them in. Pour batter into prepared pan. If using whole walnuts, arrange on top of batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top. Cool in pan on rack.
Yield: 15 large or 24 small brownies.
Note: For best flavor, bake 1 day before serving, let cool and store, tightly wrapped.

******

Today I looked on the web to see the homeplace for sale. Go here to look at the listing:

I imagine it will sell easily. Sad to see the place that was your house, the only home you knew, up for sale. It is also odd to go back to WV and not have a home to stay at. Sure we stay with our mom at her new house, but aint nothing like home.

Here is a picture of the house dad built with his own hands and built 98% of it by himself.
See you later home.

******

Back up article

Dear Mr. Moss,

Hello Mr. Moss don't try and remember me - you dont know me. We have never met, ever talked or even bumped into each other.

I am an American Baptist minister in Lincoln, RI - about 20 minutes south of Foxboro. I am from St. Albans, WV, just down river from Belle. I graduated the same year your older brother Eric did from DuPont. In our senior years we played across each other, I on offense, he on defense. He was at least 6 inches taller and 65lbs. bigger, he could have easily put me in the hospital with one swipe of his paw, but he took it easy on me.

Mr. Moss I am writing to invite you to become a part of the L. R. B. Church. Yes you will be the only minority in the congregation. But at least the one doing most of the talking, myself, will sound more like you than folk in Boston will. Plus my family will have you over for all the delights of WV cooking on a regular basis.

No comments: