24 February 2008

Sermon as Mystery Novel

Last week I developed a sermon as a three part whole, or three acts. I think it was a good approach, that I will revisit soon. This morning I approached the sermon from the vantage point of a mystery novel. I had four clues, paid close attention to details in the text: Matthew 4:5-7 which led to Deuteronomy 6, which led to Exodus 17, which then led to Numbers which I then closed with Romans 8. I did not expect that journey but that is what happened. I was surprised how the method kept the attention of people, I did feel folk were brought along and journeyed with me through the text. I will hope to post the script tomorrow, I ventured off quite a bit and the last part was largely a work in progress.

Tomorrow I hope to submit a review of my newly arrived Sigg Metro Bottle, blue (the VOR has the smaller pink version). My weekly trip to the coffee will provide an excellent arena for experience. BTW, last week at the coffee shop a fellow who is a member of FBCIA sat next to me and we shot the bull about church goings, baptist history and other stuff you talk about when you are trying to avoid work. While we were talk a fellow next to us joined our conversation, turns out he is a pastor of an emergent church in Providence. The dude was a nice guy, good heart and great approach to ministry. He has a problem that many of us mainliners would love to have: too many people. But we have something they would love to have: space. Somehow there should be a meeting of needs here.

I also saw an article in the NYTimes the other day about a new generation of stay-at-home employees creating their own work spaces together. I saw the picture of a bunch of young people sitting around a folding table with their laptops and coffee cups. I then had an idea, what if church basements could be used as alternative work spaces? Most church space is unused throughout the week, the space is already heated/cooled, plenty of folding tables, plenty of coffee urns, plenty of bathroom space. It is easy to provide wireless connectivity. I think churches ought to give this some thought as both good stewardship of resources and possible funding of ministry.

The sausage eating vegetarians dropped off a dozen eggs yesterday - since the sun has reckoned to stay up longer the hens are a-laying. Was it all the extra time and creative freedom that produced a better than average sermon this morning, or was it the fresh eggs? I'll never know...

No comments: