14 February 2008

Books, Veeps, and Chocolates

Books
Last night #8 was finished - now only 92 more to go.  I believe next week I should be able to wrap up at least three more.  Hopefully by the end of the month I will have 16 read, it will be close (after all Feb. is a short month).  #8 was A Painted House by John Grisham.  I have  never read any of his works; I was pleasantly surprised to discover such a wonderful novel.

The other day the third volume of Gary Dorrien's The Making of American Liberal Theology arrived in the mail for review.  It is a whopper, some 450 pages.  But 15 pages a day and one can knock it out in a month.  

Veeps
I have no idea whom Senator Obama will pick for VP.  There are plenty of choices but I think it will be a non-traditional person.  If he were to call me and illicit advice I would advise him to ask Ed Asner first, you know Mr. Grant.  In a Classics of Religious Literature course at Marshall University we sat down to discuss Surprised by Joy, the spiritual autobiography of C.S. Lewis.  The professor asked who we think should play Mr. Lewis in a biopic.  I said Ed Asner, my corner of the class got quite a chuckle out of it.  I repeated my choice three times but the prof. prudently ignored me.  Ever since then I wait for opportune times to inject Ed Asner into a conversation.  This works especially when you have a group of people at a party and eventually someone starts to ask who should play who if we were ever in a movie.  If you want a good choice for a woman:  Bee Arthur.

But back to the topic at hand.  This article gave me the willies, if McCain were to pick Rice as his VP then he would have a formidable ticket.  I had never thought to Secretary Rice as the possible #2, heavens she would neutralize any Democratic combination.  I wonder if he will choose her though?

Chocolates
The other day I ordered the VOR a box of assorted truffles from Holls, they arrived yesterday. We absolutely love their products, but for some odd reason they thought we would enjoy orange truffles, come on, orange truffles...

No comments: