05 August 2008

XXX

A few minutes ago I finished #30, it was   The Reaffirmation of Prayer by E. Glenn Hinson.  Methinks I began this book a bunch of years ago but never finished it.  I say that because one day I was talking to Lady E, his daughter, and asked if E was an avid golfer or skilled woodworker.  She looked at me rather dumbfounded and said her dad rarely did either.   On the bookjacket of this book it clearly states that E's hobbies include golfing and woodworking; I suppose they are the general habits of most Baptist clergy, if not the majority of at least Protestant denominations.  

The book is the first, that I know of, where Hinson develops his idea of Love Energies in relation to prayer.  It is a great read, lots of excellent NT translations.  I also like how he uses biographies from Christian history to illustrate points.  The book touched on a number of points for prayer and worship (note this a good Anglobaptist/Anglican Oversoul book).  I could not get over how many sermon series and worship ideas flowed through my mind while reading this book.

Here is a teaser that will hopefully entice you to read it (I read this at the start of the diaconate meeting last night)

If God is to break in upon us, he will do so in moments of solitude, in the stillness, as we yield ourselves to him.  He does not come crashing through our hearts' doors with a bulldozer.   He stands there knocking gently, waiting for us to invite him in.  And it is precisely here that our culture creates the most problems, for it does not encourage quiet listening or solitude.  Rather, it stresses activity.  It fills our ears and minds constantly with its cacophony of sounds and activities.  

This means that if conversion is to take place, we will have to want that to happen.  We will have to make time for solitude.  We will have to practice listening with the ear of the heart,  We will have to bow our knees to the Father and yield ourselves to him in praise and adoration.

1 comment: