10 January 2006

Barbara Brown Taylor

While journeying to Boston from Rochester, NY via Amtrak awhile back I took along for the ride The Preaching Life by Barbara Brown Taylor. I read it, liked it but didnt pick anything else up by her till the other day. Perhaps it was the ridiculously sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwww pace of the train, the multiple stops of every town in upstate, or hour and a half wait while a felled tree was remove, or maybe the rushed lunch with Ted Koppel (that's rigth Mr. Nightline himself and his wife. he never fully introduced himself but come on that hair and that voice it was good ole teddy.)

Today I finished Speaking of Sin, a good little book. I highly recommend it as a great place to start for Lenten reflection. I find her quite an attractive preacher - she serves as model for what talent, hard work and taking your craft serious can produce. I admire her work.

She will be preaching at Memorial Church at Harvard at the end of the month. I am in the midst of an Epiphany sermon series: one sunday on our mission acronym Loving, Reaching, Blessing, Caring. I will have to put off Caring till the first sunday in feb. - havent made my mind up yet.

No comments: