15 February 2012

The Perfect-Ultimate-Fantabulous King Cake

Disclaimer: this is a full blown product endorsement, fully free of coercion - they didn't even ask me, they don't even know i am up to this.

My first Epiphany here in NOLA a few years ago someone bought a King Cake from one of the local bakeries.  I was enthralled by the cake - the cake is pretty much just a light cinnamon roll baptized in sugar frosting then topped with about an inch or so of dyed sugar.  I really wanted to like the cake but I could not.  For one they were too sweet and for another I am allergic to the dyed sugar.  I tried different fillings (too numerous to list here), different styles of cakes from different bakeries hoping to find the right one.  But I never found it.  So I gave up on eating king cake, I figured the kids like so that is all that really matters.  Then a few days ago I stopped by the local European bakery a few blocks up the road and noticed a "Chocolate King Cake."  Now I have had chocolate king cakes before - the ones where they shoot it full of chocolate pudding.  But this one at Maple Street Patisserie looked different.  So I asked if they would make me one without the dyed sugar on it, no problem they said.

On Sunday morning as the family prepped for an afternoon of parades I went up to MSP to pick the cake up.  It just came out of the oven!  I arrived at the rental chateau(insert louisiana cajun x at the end of chateau if you so desire) with the cake and two coffees!

It was amazing.  The best king cake I have ever had in my life!  It was so good I feared that it might spoil if left on the counter for a prolonged amount of time...so with a little help from our king cake loving progeny, Material Girl and I demolished it within 24 hours - with.

The cake I would describe as a cross between challah bread and cream cheese pastry.  Inside the ring of the king cake was a light-fluffy-rich brownie batter.  All of this was topped with chocolate frosting, chocolate chips and chocolate sprinkles.

MPS does not have a web page but you can visit them at 7638 Maple Street  New Orleans, LA or call them and place your own order at (504) 304-1526.

these were the last two pieces.  the pictures are not of the highest quality but i was fighting time folks, i didnt have the patience to stage a proper picture, my coffee may have chilled by then.  it's carnival time reader, priorities are transformed this time of year.  they'll be time for proper pictures come Lent...



2 comments:

WBR said...

Aaahhhh...the delights of Maple Street in Nola!

Michele Benson Huck said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I am a fan of the French king cake at La Boulangerie, but will try the cake at MS. I made gluten-free king cake for the first time today. Pretty darn good, if I do say so myself!