23 October 2008

Birthday Thoughts

Today I am 34, I suppose I am now fully engaged in the afternoon of life. I do not feel any older but I have noticed a gradual thickening of facial hair, then again I had nowhere to go but up in this category. I have also noticed a gradual popping of bones, an interest in the obituary, contacting friends from back home, an appreciation of seasons changing, a dislike of watching football, a surprising love of vegetables (even brussel sprouts!), waking up at 5:30am because I went to bed at 9:30pm, looking forward to retirement, and finally realizing that I will probably not ever make it onto ESPN Sportscenter. With that last thought I now want to offer a word to any aspiring athlete: how to make it onto Sportscenter, a guaranteed way at that.

If you are a sophomore or junior at any college in America: call a press conference and declare yourself eligible for the NFL draft. Do not worry if you play on a team or not, it would help if you do not (also, gender is no prohibition for this plan). This kind of boldness and tenacity will for sure get the attention of Mel Kiper and cause him to comment on you during pre-draft analysis. Seeing that ESPN is now more of a 24 hour program than it was when I was in college the odds are greater you will make it on.

Moving on...
Yesterday I finished my 46th book in my attempt to read 100 books for 2008. I do not think I am going to read 55 books in 10 weeks, only 5.5 books a week. If you look at my list you will see 8 children's books (recall I granted myself 1 kid book a month). Nevertheless, 39 books thus far is still far more than I read last year. I am holding out hope to have read 50 non-children's books by the end of the year, that I believe is well within shot.

The 46th book was John Claypool's, The Preaching Event, which was the 1979 Lyman Beecher Lectures at Yale Divinity School.  I mention this book because only a few years ago I was enthralled by Claypool and his approach to preaching.  But after reading TPE I am having second thoughts about his approach.  I cannot quite put my finger on it exactly.  I appreciate his honesty, his boldness in sharing his wounds, his journey away from the "fast track" of Baptist life (he eventually became Anglicized and re-ordained as an Episcopalian priest), and his use of pastoral care in his sermons.  I suppose my time in ministry is different than his, perhaps that is the biggest difference.  

Further down the road...
I sent Mr. Randy Moss an official letter welcoming him to the community and to stop by to worship with us any time he is free and available.  I figure it is worth a shot.  I bet he did not expect to move to RI and discover a dude just down the street who grew up down the road from him, played football with his older brother, knew his football coach, and can attest to his basketball abilities too.  

The Almighty Speaking through Creation...
I am not for sure what God is trying to communicate to me but two weekends ago I spied (as #2 would say) 3 Eastern Bluebirds in the parsonage lot.  No one believes me.  My neighbor inquired: you sure it was not a Bluejay?  I know what a Bluejay looks like, never have cared too much for those loud beaked pushy birds.  For 6 years+ I have been looking for a E.B. and was overjoyed to see one.  Yesterday morning the same, I assume it is the same one, landed on the parsonage  backporch rail and stayed for a spell.

Resume building, installment #2...
My first bread recipe for testing arrived this week.  I am making a few loaves for the concert this Saturday and see what folk think.  I would also like to add a new component to my resume: this Fall I have developed an uncannily ability to tree squirrels.  

1 comment:

Ron's Thots said...

Happy Birthday. 34 years old, hmmm...well if it makes you feel any younger Cindy and I had a wedding anniversary on Tuesday of this week, and we celebrated 30 years of being married. You are making me feel old at this time.
Ron