06 January 2012

Cookies for Breakfast

The other day my wife and #3 made a batch of our favorite cookies: Deborah Madison's A Little Nut Cookie, from her Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (page for page the best vegetarian cookbook on the market). While my wife and I ate a cookie with a cup of tea in the late afternoon I remarked that this recipe may in fact make a pretty mean breakfast cookie!

On the one hand I am sure the pursuit of a breakfast cookie is my pursuit of my childhood, oh how I long for a Carnation Breakfast Bar. Does anyone have any reason why Nestle discontinued them? I am not alone on this quest, at least 5,570 have signed an online petition and 570 have joined the Bring Back Original Carnation Breakfast Bars facebook group.


On the other hand my wife and I really want to create a breakfast bar that is tasty and healthy and a better alternative to mass produced granola bars. So we took Ms. Madison's recipe and adapted it ever so slightly by substituting 1 cup of oat flour for 1 cup of all purpose flour. How do you make oat flour? Take regular oats and place them in the food processor till they are ground into a fine flour. One more note: add an extra 1/4 cup of oats when you make the desired amount of flour. We also added about 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. The cookies are still less sweet than most breakfast cereals!

The result? A delicious breakfast cookie - it is not a substitute for breakfast but a nice addition.


take that Mark Bittman!

No comments: