07 May 2012

A Little Help from My Friends

I think one of the benefits of friendship is to see in another person something that the other person doesn't see yet.  Friendship has the ability to draw the best out of the other.  After my little experiment with prayer outside of the gates of Jazz Fest a one Rev. Dr. Amy Butler, senior pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in our nation's capital, emailed me to inquire about my experiment.  She asked very good and enthusiastic questions that forced me to reflect deeper on the real motivations of my experiment.  If she had not taken the time to ask me her questions I doubt I would have seen a deeper and truer insight, an insight that enabled me to write the sermon I preached on Sunday, an insight which gave me a fuller vision of my calling as a pastor.  Thanks Amy.

Amy wrote a great article on the experiment and then followed up with a blog post containing the exchanges that she and I shared during the writing.

This Sunday most will read the lesson from John where Jesus calls his disciples no longer disciples but friends.  Friends, I get by with a little help from my friends...

No comments: