26 February 2012

Praying to Sing: Happy Birthday Johnny Cash

It's hard to believe it has been almost 9 years since the Man in Black died.  I damn near broke down in the pulpit when I shared it with the congregation during the time of prayers and concerns.  JC was like a member of the family, he will always be a member of the family.  I recall the sadness in the conversation that Sunday afternoon when dad and I talked about JC's death.  Today he would have been 84 years old.

I have wanted to write an essay on ministry based on the style and life of Johnny Cash, maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.

In the meantime I will share my favorite JC song:  Mr. Garfield.  I think it is a good representation of his style.  When I hear his songs I often picture the Baptist preachers from my past praying with the organ playing in the background.  I that is the best way to think about his style of music as a form of public prayer.

No comments: